Thursday 22 March 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the UniverseAcross the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one.”



Frozen in cryo-sleep, Amy is on her way to a new planet, three hundred years apart from Earth. Three hundred years that would rip her away from her love, her friends and her home. All because when she would wake up, she would still be with her parents. But she's awake now, way ahead of her time. She is suddenly trapped in between metal walls, underneath a fake sky and a light bulb for sun, ruled by an evil tyrant called Eldest. Her only hope, 49 years and 266 days away. But the mystery has just begun. Amy, now with Elder, the rebellious teen heir of Eldest, races on to find the person who attempted to murder her and succeeded in doing another before he snatches away the people Amy holds dear the most: her parents. Utterly intoxicating and heart-racing, this part dystopian and part sci-fi thriller will take the mystery to a whole new level.



I loved it! Beth Revis totally needs a salute! A total sci-fi one!







I loved the writing. Ms.Revis let the words flow their way and were sometimes almost poetic in semblance.

Example: “This is the secret of the stars, I tell myself. In the end, we are alone. No matter how close you seem, no one else can touch you.”



Beth Revis made me go through everything Amy and Elder went through. I could almost feel myself claustrophobic like Amy, stuck in a dilemma whether Amy should awaken her parent and whether life of lies is better than the harsh truth of being stuck. I also could see the koi fish painting in my mind which was very beautifully described.





It was certainly not of those books where you could guess what would happen next because Ms. Revis makes us suffer with her characters and creates a story that you don't want to put your hands off.



My favorite character was Harley, the moment he appeared was the moment he completely drew me in. As the story further progressed and I learned more of Harley, the more I liked him. He was certainly the most likable character. SPOILER ALERT: I almost cried and screamed "NO!" when Harley had opened the latch and had launched off into space. I had wished long after that Beth Revis does something freaky time magic kind of thing and make Harley come back. 
SPOILER END.


“And I look at Harley, and the billions of stars are in his eyes, and he's drinking them up, pouring them into his soul.”

Oh Harley...



Amy was tough, brave, sensible and yet a daddy's girl at heart. Her sacrifice for her parents in the start of the book, the realization of all that she has lost and the urge to fight back made Amy a worthy heroine.



Elder was easy to like, as well. I could almost understand his dilemma when it came to the Eldest and i, myself, was unable to decide when it came to the ultimate question of what was right and what was wrong.



In the end:

“The glitter in the sky looks as if I could scoop it all up in my hands and let the stars swirl and touch one another but they are so distant so very far apart that they cannot feel the warmth of each other even though they are made of burning.”





View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Love the Mr. Spock photo! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love the Spock photo and the Koi fish painting. I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

    ReplyDelete

Team DaeVision

Team DaeVision
Daemon Invasion